Thursday, August 04, 2005

CoD? "Over There" Follow-Up

Ok. With another episode of Over There under my belt, I'm starting to re-evaluate my opinion. A little....

What still bothers me about the show is the portrayal of the soldiers. There's good amount of ignorance and racism within the unit itself (along with some "academic idealism"). Now, ignorance and racism are real. I'm sure they have found their way into the military. However, I can't imagine that it is all that prevalent in today's armed forces, and I question why the writers chose to cast the majority of the main characters in this light. The only person who wants to be there fighting and believes it's for a just cause got his leg blown off in the first episode.

That said, the show is watchable. It's not the best writing, not the best acting, but it is intense. Never having seen combat I can't know for sure, but it seems to give a fairly accurate portrayal of the situations and stresses war presents.

This may end up being an on-going review as each new episode has the potential of bringing in new characters and aspects that can either criticize or support what's going on in Iraq. From the previews for next week, it looks like criticism is on the menu. A la Abu Ghraib.

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist D' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP