Friday, September 09, 2005

"Art"

I don't know where these people get off.

Some examples:






I'm not sure if you can enlarge the second photo. It's a mock magazine, Friendly Fire, with NFL star Pat Tillman, who was killed in Afghanistan accidentally by fellow Rangers.

The quote reads as follows:


I was killed by my own Army Ranger Platoon in Afghanistan on April 22, 2004. I am a hero to many of you. My death was tragic. My glory was shortlived. Flawed perceptions of myself, my country and the War on Terror resulted in the disatrous end to my life.
Nice....

Now, I haven't taken an art class since high school, although I do remember and was a fan of the Famous Artists program we had. Even though I live in Williamsburg, I have yet to interact with that aspect of the "hip" community.

But I do know that for the past number of years what passes as art has increasingly become offensive. And purposely so. Most of what is coming out of that intellectually abstract community are literal pieces of shit. Virgin Mary covered in dung. Santa Clause, the Pope, and some nuns defacating. Of course, we now have the figurative ones: mocking the dead soldiers of the War on Terror on the eve of 9/11.

These self-proclaimed artists are quick on the draw with "censorship!" the second anyone criticizes their masterpieces, and they have a right to do so. They have a right to display their work, even if it only took 5 minutes with Photoshop. As offensive as it may be. As infuriating and ill-timed as it may be. They have that right.

However, the fact that society has begun to actually accept and embrace these artists and their steaming piles of feces is sickening. Call it whatever you want.

But shit - either metophoric or literal - isn't art.

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist D' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP