Thursday, October 13, 2005

The Odd Couple

Neil, that crasher of parties, tipped me off to this yesterday and I saw another blurb about it again in today's Post.

Seems like Brian "I-Like-To-Tout-My-Partner-For-Political-Gain" Ellner has signed on with Mayor Bloomberg's re-election campaign. The gay community is of course up in arms over this, especially since they see Bloomberg's stance to block gay marriage from going through the courts as going against his vocal support for the issue itself.

CoD? aside: God forbid the issue actually get resolved legislatively. Every time I hear or see gays bitching and moaning about getting gay marriage OK'd through the courts, I can't help but think of that whiney little brat from Willie Wonka and The Chocolate Factory, Veruca Salt: "But I want gay marriage NOW, Bloomie!!!"

Anyway. I just don't get this pairing. Bloomberg, who's had the benefit of being a Democrat in conservative clothing (or vice versa), and to my knowledge has never really drawn the ire of the Manhattan gay community, is leading in the polls. Does he really need an out-of-the-closet gay aide? Ellner on the other hand, is already being called a sell-out by a lot of his gay base. Granted, he's already lost the race for Manhattan borough president, but I can't see how this decision will benefit any future political aspirations if he's so hell bent on running under the "Look-at-me-I'm-gay" banner.

I guess it's possible this was a principled decision on Ellner's part. I'm just not sure what that principle is.

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist D' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP