Friday, November 11, 2005

Veteran's Day

A couple of years ago, I found out that Maj. Dick Winters, immortalized in HBO's superb mini-series Band of Brothers, lived a half hour away from me. While there was no way I was just going to show up on his door step to shake his hand, I did write him a letter expressing my gratitude for what he and countless others did during World War II.

Much to my surprise, he wrote back. Regrettably, I managed to lose the letter in my move to New York. I still think about him though. A very humble, very congenial man. One of only a few left from that Greatest Generation.

We all know someone who served - whether in WWII, Vietnam, Korea, or the Middle East. Take some time out today and thank them. A handshake. A hug. A cup of coffee. Anything. If they're no longer with us, remember and honor their sacrifice.

To my great-grandfather, my two grandfathers, Major Winters, my sister and brother-in-law who will be going to Afghanistan the beginning of next year, and everyone who has served our country, from the bottom of my heart...

Thank you.

Update: Be sure to check out North Dallas Thirty's Veteran's Day cavalcade for thoughts and viewpoints from around the blogosphere.

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist D' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP