Sunday, December 18, 2005

CoD? Movie Review - King Kong

A lot has already been said about this flick. Many a praise has been sung. And I will not waste my reader's precious time by repeating it. It is a very, very, very good film and definitely worth seeing up on the big screen.

That said, I'll admit that I had high expectations. I was expecting to be blown away, and I wasn't. I wanted to cry at the end, but had to settle for just getting "choked up". Maybe my 5th row seat (even after being 30 minutes early) had something to do with the overall experience, I don't know. The action sequences were a blur quite a bit of the time. And there were a lot of action sequences....

Now I love a good action sequence. And Jackson is brilliant and delivering them. This time out though, I felt that he was getting a little carried away with all the various creatures on Skull Island. I'm sure that every species residing in that world made it on film and every one of them was out to get the crew of the Venture. Of course, maybe I'm just being a baby 'cause all the bugs made me squirm.

Ann and Kong's relationship was there. For some reason though, it wasn't enough for me to balls out cry at the end. Like I said, I did get choked up. And I was dreading the inevitable demise of the big furry guy. You can't help rooting for him to take down just one more plane.

Odds are pretty good I'll go see it again in the theaters. If anything, I'd like to get the experience without having to deal with violent neck spasms after the credits roll. And with any luck, the second time around will give me what I missed the first time out.

All in all though, it's a great damn movie.

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist D' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP