Friday, October 31, 2008

Do You Like Scary Movies?

I stole this from Ace who stole it from HotAir, but it's not like posting one's favorite scary movies on Halloween is all that original of an idea.  A lot of these are your typical staples for the genre, but hey... I just admitted to being entirely unoriginal.


The Exorcist - Decided to rent it and watch it alone at 3am when I was 17 or 18.  No movie had scared me as much before, and no movie has since.  The spider-walk down the steps gives me chills just thinking about it.

Jaws - One of those perfect instances of the musical score being able to totally enhance the desired response.  We don't see the shark for the first 3/4 of the film and yet that's the scariest part.

The Blair Witch Project - I know, I know.  99% of the population thought it was retarded.  It made me sleep with the lights on (I was house-sitting at the time).  I think the effectiveness of this film depended on who and where you were watching it.  One smart-ass kid in the theater could easily take you out of it.  The audience I saw it with however was totally immersed.  You see very little, if anything, and my imagination just got the best of me.  Only good for one viewing, but it was worth it.

Pet Sematary - I won't go so far as to say the movie was actually better than the book, but it did it's job.  Next to Damien, indian-graveyarded Gage is one of Hollywood's creepier kids.

Communion - Not really a well known film, but there's one scene in it that gives me chills.  I've only ever seen it once, but it has stayed with me.  What scarred me for life was the first 50 seconds below:


  © Blogger template 'Minimalist D' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP