Wednesday, November 05, 2008

A Letter To The President Elect

Senator Obama, 


First off all, congratulations.  History was made yesterday when you were elected the first African-American president of the United States.  Regardless of the ethics of "how", you ran a brilliant campaign.  Politics is a game - more often than not, a downright dirty one - but one that must be played nonetheless.

That having been said, I did not vote for you.  You are my president and as such, I hope you govern this nation wisely and prudently over the next four years.  I hope you are able to repair the political rift in this country.  I hope that you keep me, my family, and my friends safe.  I hope that in 2012, this nation is even better than it is today.

I felt John McCain, while obviously flawed, was the better choice.  You have some work to do to gain my trust.  A lot of work.  The political climate in this country has been rancid over the past 8 years and I will do my level best to abstain from falling into the swarm of negativity and vitriol that has surrounded the Bush White House.

I am counting on the media to give you a constant pass during your tenure on Pennsylvania Avenue.  I will not.  Others will not.  Not much is known of the specifics of your intended policies.  We will all be watching.

I am giving you the benefit of the doubt.  I have no choice but to hope that your rhetoric of "hope and change" was not as empty as I still feel it was.  As a citizen of this country, I cannot and will not hope for a failed Obama presidency, as much as that would benefit my party.  You have raised expectations to an extremely high level.

Do not let us down.

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist D' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP